What is the difference between a Lawyer and a Paralegal?
Both professions are licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada, although most Paralegals are graduates of a College Program, not of Law School. Paralegals are restricted to practicing in certain fields such as Landlord and Tenant matters, Small Claims Court and Provincial Offences / Highway Traffic. Paralegals are not allowed to practice in real estate, wills and estates and family court matters. Paralegals are generally less expensive than Lawyers.

How much will it cost me to sue someone?
Each case is different. The more complex a case is, the more time needed and, therefore, more hours and more expense. Most paralegals charge by the hour plus disbursements, however some will price the job in stages – such as up to and including a settlement conference and then, if it goes to trial, it is an additional several hundred dollars. Often the case is settled at the settlement conference, which will, of course, keep your costs lower.

Why should I hire a Paralegal?
Paralegals are (or should be) experienced in the area of practice in which they practice, which will enable them to handle your matter in the best, most effective way to produce a successful outcome. That being said, there are no guarantees on results. If a Paralegal promises that your case is a “slam dunk”, and promises a win, BEWARE. There are many variables outside the control of the Paralegal, that may impact the outcome.

Can I represent myself in Small Claims Court?
Yes. If you decide afterwards that you maybe should have legal representation, most Paralegals will be happy to jump in, provided there is enough time to prepare properly and to ensure that all of the required timelines are met adequately.

Can my Landlord evict me without a hearing?
No, your landlord must have an order from the Landlord and Tenant Board Tribunal before a tenant can be legally evicted.

Highway Traffic Offences

Small Claims Court

Landlord & Tenant Matters

Provincial Offences